26 August 2010

Hiking, hungry bears and one handsome husband

As we hiked out of the trees and continued our ascent up Granite Mountain we were slowly loosing daylight. This is in stark comparison to mere months ago when we enjoyed daylight until 10pm, which gives me pause to think where did Summer go? Everywhere around us are reminders of Fall and my heart cannot help, but skip a beat when I think of emptier trails and more vibrant colors in the coming months.

The opportunity to squeeze in a mid week hike is the equivalent to a child getting to eat dessert before dinner, such a treat. It was one of those perfectly warm Summer days, giving way to a clear moonlit night.

If you enjoy a workout head up Granite Mountain, it is one continuous climb.

Dusk and dawn are my absolute favorite times of day. Not that I am consistently up for dawn, but if I were I know I would love it as much. The light at dusk is so delicious I want to eat it up and store it for a dark grey Seattle winter day.

Taking it all in and hardly breaking a sweat, no fair.


Mt. Rainier had to peek itself out to say hello.

Once we got word of a black bear sighting, we made the decision to turn ourselves around. We did not want to be some hungry bear's dinner, that is for sure. It is mind boggling and exhilarating to think that bear country exists so close right off of I-90.


We descended the trail with the help of headlamps and flashlights as we witnessed this beautiful sunset. What a perfect way to end the day.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow! Those are some BEAUTIFUL pics!