21 March 2013

Donation day

Working on bereavement items such as teeny tiny diapers, small crocheted blankets and little hats and gowns is the most productive time I have ever spent. Connecting with other women who have suffered similar losses has been (aside from my faith and a supportive family) the key to my healing. You cannot put a price tag on being able to talk with another woman who says, "I have been there, it sucks but you can make it through this". The first donation we made was almost to the date of Asher's due date. I got a pit in my stomach the moment I step foot into the Labor and Delivery unit and wanted to run out of there as fast as I could. After meeting the L &  D manager, being able to talk with one of our nurses and several others it was clear to see we were making a difference and in turn our son's albeit brief life has made a difference.
Fast forward five months and this time I am at a less familiar hospital making a similar donation. This time it was just me, there was no excitement or expressed appreciation from the staff, but my initial thought as I walked away from the NICU was on that day at that exact moment there were cheers in heaven. Cheers from my son, and all the other babies whose lives mean only something to a select few.
Infant death is not something people openly talk about, I think the very thought makes people feel too sad, too vulnerable. The need is great and unfortunately this is something which happens all the time. The time commitment is minimal and the joy and healing which can occur is immeasurable. If you are interested in helping out with this great cause, please contact Teeny Tears.


10 comments:

Gabrielle - Design Mom said...

What a life-changing gift you are giving with these tiny diapers and layette sets. I'm beyond touched by your service.

Momlarky said...

I just found your blog through Design Mom and I am in tears reading your story. That you can have so much grace and kindness for others at a time when no one would fault you for being paralyzed with grief is definitely extraordinary. You have inspired me today. Thank you.

Sarah Elisabeth said...

So glad to have come across your blog through DM, Lisette. You have a beautiful spirit and I'm inspired by your grace.

Sarah Elisabeth said...

So glad to have come across your blog through DM, Lisette. You have a beautiful spirit and I'm inspired by your grace.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

This is one of the most touching things I've read about in so long. Thank you for sharing your story and giving back to those that are also experiencing heartbreak. Your love is inspiring.

Amy said...

I found your blog via Design Mom...your story touched me deeply. This May 1 my son would have turned 14. He was born at 23 &1/2 weeks. He was 11 inches long and weighed one pound. He lived for 2 weeks and died the day we were finally ready to give him his name. My husband and I decided to create(with the help and approval of the staff) "Sam's Library" in the NICU. We donate books for families to read to their babies while they are in the NICU. It has made a world of difference to my well-being, as I am sure making these tiny sets is doing for you!
Peace and love to you,
Amy

Cary said...

what a lovely thing to do. i lost my son 11 years ago (at 26 weeks) and still treasure the few things i received in the hospital. i'm so sorry for your loss. i have since had three more beautiful children and i know my son lives on through them and through the love i carry for him in my heart. much love to you and your family as well.

Mary said...

What a wonderful thing you're doing. I'm sure you touch so many lives. You are inspiring!

Elizabeth said...

You are a lovely soul. Found you through DM and your story has blessed me. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you journey through your grief and healing. God Bless You!

Lisette said...

Hi Ladies-

Thank you for all your kind words, they mean a lot.