11 April 2012

Goyte and Kimbra at the Showbox Sodo

People tend to fall into two camps: concert goers and the rest of us. I can count on two hands the number of concerts we have attended since being married. Our lack of concert attendance has nothing to do with lack of enjoyment, but more to do with timing. I also take full responsibility for not having a strong enough pulse on the Seattle music scene because just about the time we get word of someone's impending arrival the concerts tend to be sold out. Last night, the stars aligned and we were able to get our hands on two tickets to the sold out Goyte and Kimbra concert. Both artists have become recent obsessions of mine, so their visit to Seattle could not have been more perfect. Of all the concerts we have attended they are always general admission which means waiting in line for an hour or two, inhaling plenty of second hand smoke and very interesting people watching.
Although Kimbra's overall appearance was not as mesmerizing (blame it mainly on her "Traveler" looking wedding dress) as in her music video, her vocals were stellar and she kept her energy up the entire time.
There were plenty of hand movements, dancing and jumping around, but intermittent peeks at her underwear just seemed so very wrong.
A hallmark of today's society was everyone with their smart phones. I must be old fashion, but I prefer an actual camera.
Overly far too cozy in the crowd. People constantly brushed up against me, grabbed onto me, pushed intentionally into me or full on stood directly behind me. I cannot prove it, but I am certain some people were sweating on me. I am a girl who likes her personal space, so just thinking about it makes me want to go and take a shower.
Truth be told I was less excited about Goyte, but he put on the most amazing displays of sights and sound. He was more attractive than in his music videos, which was a pleasant surprise since we would be standing there watching him for a couple hours.

Goyte was engaging, entertaining and seemingly at ease on stage. Ironically, this Seattle concert was the last show of his tour.
The constantly changing background was fun to capture and interesting to watch.

Photographing unpredictable settings is both a challenge and a treat.

Despite the lady standing behind me who reached around and put her hand in front of my face and spent half the night rubbing her body up and down against by backside I had an enjoyable time. When I finally got smart and encouraged her and her sweaty companion (a look alike Elton John) to move in front of me the night took a turn for the better. Personal space and concerts clearly do not go hand in hand, but even at concerts I do not forget my manners.

You can read the concert review here.

1 comment:

The Brown Family said...

I'm so jealous you have no idea! That is totally awesome! I love Kimbra like, a lot. She seems like she would be amazing live. Goyte too. How cool. I'm sorry you were practically molested though!