17 October 2011

Birthday weekend

Around these parts, we like to stretch out birthday celebrating as much as possible. This year since my birthday fell on a Thursday, we turned it into a long weekend and headed down to Portland. Like someone smart once said, "birthdays are enjoyed by everyone". Although the birthday boy/girl gets the cards and presents, everyone else around them is able to enjoy the cake, going out to eat and the endless festivities that are sure to ensue.
For my birthday, our first stop was Slappy Cakes. I thoroughly enjoyed making myself a birthday cake, birthday hat, hearts and writing out my special day with pancake batter.




Everyone always wants to know, what we like to do in Portland so much. Truth be told, we like to walk, shop and eat. Here I am enjoying a Carrot Cheesecake Ice Cream sandwich from Ruby Jewel.  I would say this was a good substitute for birthday cake.
A surprise message at the bottom of my paper cup.
The best street in Portland. Great restaurants, fun shops and a cool vibe.
Somehow we ended up with the Starlight Room at The Vintage Plaza. We were on the top floor, on a corner and had these cool windows complete with remote control roller shades. I have been dreaming of making a star upholstered headboard ever since.
As if I had not consumed enough calories for the day, we ended the evening with dinner at El Gaucho. Although, they are known for their steaks, I highly recommend their mushroom risotto.
Do you have a favorite city you like to eat your way through?

No comments: