09 April 2010

Greek night

Some nights we just eat and other nights we feast.

This was the night where we feasted.

There is nothing better than being able to look forward to a delicious meal at the end of the day, it is one of life's little joys to me. On this particular night, it was raining and when I spoke to Cameron on his way home, he seemed surprised we were going to BBQ. Undeterred, I thought I could probably figure it out myself, so I went up to the roof and got that BBQ humming. It was gratifying to do it myself and I hate to admit it, but it was first time to ever BBQ.


We dined on pork souvlaki and a delicious greek salad. Anything mini tempts me, so I bought mini pitas to pile it all into.

1 lb. pork shoulder cut into ¾ inch cubes
3 T olive oil
¼ c plus 2 T fresh lemon juice
Lemon wedges for serving
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T chopped fresh oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T plain Greek yogurt
¼ c tahini
1-2 T water

Combine pork, oil and 2 T lemon juice with garlic and oregano then season with salt and pepper. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 1-8 hours (the key is giving the meat time to marinate, I did three hours). Whisk yogurt, ¼ c lemon juice, tahini and 1-2 T water – enough to make the consistency like that of heavy cream. Heat a pan to high heat and cook pork until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. If the pork releases too much moisture, make sure to dry out the pan a little by blotting with a couple of paper towels – if you don’t the meat won’t brown up and get all the tasty bits on the edges. Serve with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.


No comments: