02 April 2013

Day Trip: Ebey's Landing Hike + winner announced

Everyone likes to surmise the secret to a happy and successful marriage. Books have been written, studies have been made, classes are available to take, but the ironic part is each marriage is uniquely complex. What works for one simply does not for another. However, the secret to our happy marriage is no secret at all. Above all else, we are really, truly great friends. We have always been, and I am confident we will always be. I accredit this in part to the endless amount of time we spend talking with one another. On most Saturdays for example, we spend them hiking or exploring with each other. This allows the endorphins to work in our favor and links in our minds happiness = being together. We are able to be devoid of other distractions and have time to to think, hike, sit and talk.

Ironically, one of my biggest hang ups I had with getting married was the fear I would get sick of someone. I am happy to report after twelve years of being with this man, we have even more to talk about and I am even crazier about him than when we first starting dating. There are all kind of love stories, but I love that ours was slow and constant. Many years ago when contemplating how to tell Cameron I liked him more than just a friend I penned the lines, "I think we would make a great team" As cheesy as this sounds, this phrase has held true and has come to fruition in our lives.

Ebey's Landing is not a hard hike, actually I would really call it more of a walk. You start off walking through rolling farmland before you climb your way up to the coastal bluff. We hiked here two Summers ago, but it was extremely cold and windy so we did not go all the way. This time we were able to witness a thick marine layer burn off and give way to a sunshine filled day and stellar views.
Dark, rich, rows of farmland soil
Coastal bluffs with marine layer parting
A well marked, narrow trail paves the way
Marine layer below
Marine layer breaking away to reveal great views
There is never anyone around when we want to take a picture, so we have many photos at arm lengths of us.

Instead of walking back along the bluff we made our way down to the beach

Spending two weekends in a row at the beach feels amazing, I highly recommend it.
Beach and rugged coastline above.
Now here is a house with a view!
Beautiful shades of blue water
Flowers dotting the bluff

Winner: Meghan you have won yourself some Lavender Sugar Scrub from Pelindaba Lavender. Congrats!

No comments: