20 February 2013

A day set aside for LOVE

There is no denying it, a whole lot of people live in New York City. I found this little card tucked all over Grand Central Station on Valentine's Day and I deemed it cute enough to snag. Inside was a simple request for love stories of all kind.  

Living in Seattle I would not deem it a very festive place to reside on Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day could come and go and you might never be the wiser, but in New York City they do it right. Every corner you come around there are delivery men balancing enormous bouquets of red roses, flowers for sale on every corner, or people walking down the street with fresh flowers in hand. Since New York City is such a pedestrian friendly place, everyday life is played out in a more public sense. In Seattle most people I know jump in their car whenever they want to go somewhere, so all these little moments are missed.

Since it was Valentine's Day and I spent the majority of the day alone I thought a lot about all the love in my life, particularly learning to love myself. I firmly believe this is one of the greatest gifts you can give the people around you, it takes a certain amount of self confidence and forgiveness, but being happy in your own skin is priceless and probably the best part of aging for me. 


Roaming around Eataly when you are hungry is probably not the best idea, but not having a kitchen to take all these wonderful ingredients to sure saved me a ton of money. Eighty percent of the food at Eataly is imported from Italy and the other twenty percent is locally sourced. Eataly is the brainchild of Mario Batali and the manifesto says it all: We're in love with food. Food unites us all. Our passion has become our job.



I walked by stacks and stacks of pretzels, these were probably the original food trucks before it became all trendy everywhere else.
Lunch with a view, blue skies, delicious food and a date later with my husband= the perfect day!

Once Cameron was off work we met up for a live taping of the David Letterman Show. I contacted them about a month in advance about tickets and they called us a few days prior to our trip to offers us some. It was fun to see something you have seen on television and is one of those only in New York City experiences.



After the David Letterman Show we wound our way through Times Square where Cameron presented me with this little valentine. There is nothing better than the exchange of little cards or gifts with the one you love.

Times Square displayed many expressions of love and hearts in honor of the day.
Due to my love affair with Sleepless in Seattle I have always dreamed of being in New York on Valentine's Day. Unfortunately there is no gigantic red heart on the side of the Empire State Building, but the graduated lights from pink to red to purple and back again are equally exciting.

Cameron had to work pretty late after the show, so we ended up having a very late night dinner in Little Italy. I loved all the red mylar balloons and big heart wreaths in Little Italy.


Ice skating in Bryant Park with the Empire State Building in the background.

No comments: