13 January 2012

The tale of first impressions and burnt toast

I had idyllic visions of our first meeting. I would put on one of my cutest outfits, I would don my ostrich feather head band and we would head over with treats in hand to meet the next door neighbors. I had thought about the timing, I did not want pop over too soon nor wait too long before we made our presence known. Somewhere between stepping outside to place the outdoor mat down and making toast I locked myself out. In a shear panic I was uncertain what to do. I had just worked out and was sweaty, hideous looking to be certain and wearing my indoor workout shoes (the ones which have never been outside) I quickly ran around the house looking for a window maybe I could get into. No such luck. Things would not have been so dire if I had not just put some toast in the oven on broil. The last thing I need is my toast catching fire or worse the house catching fire. So I did the next sensible thing and ran over to the next door neighbors.

I got the sense they were usually around, so after one long knock and then another I waited. I heard a voice from above "Hello" (she was standing on their upstairs balcony) Knowing time was of the essence I blurted out. "Hi, I am your new neighbor Lisette and I just locked myself out the my house and it would not be such a big deal other than I have toast burning in the oven. May I use your phone to call my husband?" Fortunately she was home, although she was sick she was kind and allowed me to use her phone.  Our first meeting went nothing like I had planned; instead I was a smelly, sweaty and a wild eyed woman. Maybe for the second impression I will go with treats in hand looking cute.  Then again, I guess this is what neighbors are for.

No comments: