08 December 2011

Taking a break from Christmas: Birthday Fun

Amidst all the holiday fuss each year, we have the opportunity to celebrate the youngest member of our family's birthday. I wanted to do something extra special for her, so when I saw these mini pinatas featured on Oh Happy Day I knew they were just the thing. They are relatively simple to make and are the perfect addition to any fiesta. My little sister loves Mexican food, but also likes to keep her birthday on the down low, so I did not bring them to the restaurant as planned.

In order to make these mini pinatas all you need to do is create whatever form you want out of cardboard and then glue layer after layer of crepe paper around them. Once you are finished make sure to slice open a trap door at the bottom so you have somewhere to stuff the candy into.


I then thought what is party without a birthday hat? So I made this birthday hat for her out of a piece of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper and embellishments I had around the house.


As a family we always enjoy a good party blower, but sometimes it is easy to get confused whose is whose. In order to remedy that problem I glued chipboard letters onto each blower for a little personalized touch.
Someone had asked me the best way to package the chocolate spoons and my advice is to keep it simple with a cellophane bag and a little ribbon.

We enjoyed a week night dinner out and more importantly time with the family.

No comments: