- 6 beefsteak tomatoes, halved and cored
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In roasting pan, toss tomatoes with leeks, carrots, garlic, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer (tomato cut sides down) until tender, 1 hour. Using tongs, peel off tomato skins.
- In saucepan, bring vegetables, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- In batches, puree in blender. Stir in basil.
From Everyday Food, September 2003
Every once and awhile I stumble across a killer recipe and this Roasted Vegetable Soup is one of those. I have made it twice in two weeks. Once to eat and once to freeze. It is a little jesty, a lot delicious and received rave reviews from my meatatarian.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Roasted Vegetable Soup - Martha Stewart Recipes