25 September 2008

Diamond in the rough

Cameron has an amazing memory for dates, so I thought I would surprise him today by remembering a date myself. Four years ago today Cameron proposed to me at Snoqualmie Falls. For those of you that know me, you know how much I love Snoqualmie Falls. It was also most appropriate because that is where Cameron told me he loved me for the first time.

On one particularly cold and drizzly Saturday, Cameron came to pick me up for a date and was driving this old, ugly, brown Nissan Datsun Sentra. There was a hole in the dashboard and it had sheepskin seat covers to cover up who knows what. I was curious what had happened to his car and he told me it was being fixed and so he was borrowing his boss’ neighbor’s car. Probable enough.

After having a wonderful meal at the Salish Lodge he wanted to walk over to look at the falls again. I insisted that we had already looked at them before dinner, but I relented. It was there that Cameron proceeded to tell me that he had not been completely honest with me. That was when fear entered into my heart and I thought “oh great what could it be”. Then he said those words that are singed into my brain forever, “I traded my car in, I traded my car in for something better” and then he got down on one knee and pulled out the ring. All I can remember is that I was crying and over the next few days I kept saying, “You sold your car”. I was so overwhelmed by his sacrifice and pure love for me. This would set a pattern in our life together where I knew no matter what I would always come first and that he would do anything for me.

Cameron envisioned driving that car only briefly, but it turned into much longer as we both grew to love the peppiness and low maintenance of it. It ended its life with us when we sold it to a young guy who was going to turn it into a rally car. We were satisfied it was going to a good home and hopeful that it went onto win many rallies.








1 comment:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

What a great post!!! Happy Anniversary!

S & L