15 June 2011

How does your garden grow?


Up until the past couple of years, I have never thought much about gardening beyond potted flowers. I have always enjoyed lining our decks with varying splashes of color, but that was always where the inspiration ran dry. Between living close to a nursery and my desire for fresh herbs I have been inspired to stretch a little in the gardening department. I by no means have a sprawling plot of land, but I have quickly realized a dozen pots on a deck can get you quite far.

This year I have been delighted to see stripes of red appear on my strawberries, enjoyed finding new recipes like butter and sage pasta to utilize my thriving herbs and really getting crazy by incorporating three types of lettuce into my garden. There is a deep sense of satisfaction in growing your own food whether that be one strawberry here and there or anticipating the arrival of your tomatoes. I feel more in tune not only with the growing seasons, but more hopeful than ever for sun.

My thriving sage, it has doubled in size the past couple weeks.

One of my favorite flowers are dahlias, they are vivid and cheerful to look at each day.

Fresh lettuce is nice to pick off for a sandwich or a salad.

I was so eager for basil this year I set it outside a little to early, this is my second attempt and it seems to be doing much better than the first.

In addition, I have leeks, three kinds of tomatoes and mint. I am excited to see how it all does.

What have you had success growing in pots?

No comments: