24 September 2009

When life hands you lemons.....make lemonade

Sitting in my fruit bowl were three large lemons, I wanted to do something with them but it was just too hot to bake. After giving it a little thought I was curious how hard it was to make lemonade. Since I had never made it before I went to my trusty source Google and quickly googled "how to make lemonade" and voila someone's blog popped up with the perfect recipe.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
dissolve sugar in water on medium heat (thus creating simple syrup)
squeeze 1 cup of fresh lemon juice (approx. 2-3 large lemons)
add 3-4 cups cold water

It was simple, easy and best of all you know exactly what went into it.

The joke at our house is what would you like to drink: water or milk? Since people over the age of six generally do not request milk as their beverage of choice, it leaves us with just the first option- water. So having a drink other than water is typically reserved for special occasions, ie. having people over. I have an aversion to having soda in my house or evil "juice" drinks posing as being healthy, all the while containing only a whopping 8% juice content.

I digress.

The sunshine, the warm weather, eating outside, homemade lemonade all combined to get me in the mood for hamburgers. Shocking as it may seem, we have not had hamburgers at home in at least two years. I decided to forego trying to make my own patties and picked up two delicious black and blue burgers from my local grocery store, the "good" kind of hamburger buns and some new potatoes for the last of the treats- homemade french fries. For those of you whom have never made french fries, it is very simple.

Black and Blue burgers topped with carmelized onions.

Slice up 2 large new potatoes (leave their skins on) mix in the following:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. fresh rosemary

bake at 350 degrees for 40 min.
once baked, toss with sea salt or kosher salt.


No comments: