13 August 2008

How are you going to reduce your carbon footprint?


The average American meal travels an estimated 1500 miles from farm to plate. ...

I am currently reading this book called Plenty which is about this couple from Vancouver who decided to eat locally for a year. Their quest includes only a 100 mile radius and begs the question could Cameron and I do this? Living in such diverse setting as the Pacific Northwest this really should not be a problem, right? If eating locally was easy and cheap than everyone who either naturally do it or for financial reasons concede to doing so.

I like the idea of eating locally in theory, but when the Australian tangelos find their way into my local supermarket it is going to be hard to resist them. Most of you might be rolling your eyes at this point and thinking about how you have no time for such frivolities but I am going to make it my quest for the remainder of year to find out what exactly our local farms have to offer us. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really do not have time for such frivolities! haha